Doesn’t it always seem that that when your life is at it’s busiest, a cold strikes us like a lightning strike? Of course we are unprepared, as we shuffle through our medicine cabinets for dust covered cough drops and expired OTC meds. Have you done this? I sure have. Who ever thinks of stocking your medicine cabinet when we are healthy? Well I challenge you to put this on your to do list this week. More importantly, make sure you are doing all of the things listed below to minimize the chances of getting sick in the first place. This means having a strong immune system.
Here are my top 4 tips to build you immune system :
- Get enough sleep. Without the right amount of sleep, our immune system struggles.
- Up your antioxidant intake in the form of colourful fruits and vegetables and the best quality daily supplements you can find. My favourite is doTerra’s Long Life Vitality Pack. Antioxidants are your body’s extra protection for your immune system when fighting off viruses and infection
- Take Vitamin D. It is critical for our immune system. Many of us are low in vitamin D especially in the winter due to lack of sunlight. Unfortunately, this is the time when we need it the most
- Stay away from sugar. Avoid it as much as you can
If you still get sick, here are some natural treatments that will have you singing without coughing in no time!
My top 6 cold busting tricks:
- Broth: Your mother was right when she gave you soup when you were sick. It turns out that broth will indeed help you fight your cold because it contains gut healing ingredients and helps to reduce inflammation which is necessary to build your immunity. Bone broth is easy to make and freezes beautifully
- Raw honey: A spoonful of raw honey not only soothe a sore throat, but it is also considered to be antiviral and antibacterial.
- Eucalyptus essentail oil: This is great for clearing your nose and helping you breath so you can sleep. Apply Eucalyptus onto your chest or use it in a steam shower
- Nettie Pot: A Nettie pot is a great option as well for clearing your nasal passages when you are stuffed up.
- Vitamin C: Enjoy eating lots of citrus fruits while you are sick as they contain high levels of the immune boosting vitamin C antioxidant. Make sure you are getting proper amounts of Vitamin C as well in your daily supplements. Vitamin C is key in boosting your immunity
- Ginger Essential Oil; Ginger essential oil supports immunity and can help clear congestion. Add a couple of drops to tea or warm water for a soothing drink
If you love getting my health and wellness tips, be sure to share my blog posts with your friends. Who knows? Maybe you will prevent them from getting their next cold!