Do you find it a struggle to make healthy choices when you are travelling? Most of us do. First, when I’m just sitting in the airport waiting for my flight, I find it difficult to resist that chocolate muffin or chocolate almonds when I have 2 hours with nothing to do. Also, Travelling can be tiring. When we are tired, we want sugar or a large alcoholic beverage. The next struggle is when you are on the flight and the stewardess gives you a tiny package of tasteless cookie. There is nothing more unappetizing, but do we eat them? Heck yes. Once we arrive to our destination, we are disoriented, starving, overtired and a bit lightheaded. Do we look for healthy options? Not a chance – we are scarfing down the first sign of plastic processed garbage food that we can get our hands on. Then, we get into our hotel, flop on the bed and say to ourselves “ Well, I’ve blown my diet, I might as well forget about trying until I get home”. We feel self defeated, a bit depressed, and pretend like we don’t care.
However (if planned carefully) my tips below will prevent this from happening. You can stay nourished and energetic instead of bloated. This way you can enjoy your much needed vacation.
Here are my tips:
- Pack your own snacks, like raw nuts, ¼-1/3 cup serving only. I will individually pack these with coconut flakes (see recipe below). One minute oatmeal is another go to for me. I’ll go to Starbucks and get ½ an extra large cup of hot water, add in ½ cup oatmeal, and once cooled, ill add in protein powder and a bit of coffee cream for added fat. Sometimes I’ll add greens powder too.
Roasted coconut flakes
8 cups coconut flakes unsweetened
1/3 cup maple syrup
½ teaspoon seasalt
Preheat oven tp 300. Toss all ingredients like a salad in a large bowl, mix, and spread on cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown. Toss the mixture once in the oven ½ way through. Store in airtight container. These taste way better than chips and contain healthy MCT oils to keep your body in fat burning mode
- Always have water bottle with you and drink constantly.
- Limit alcohol. It can sabotage your weight loss efforts. It’s just not worth it unless it’s a special event.
- Eat protein at every meal to curb your appetite and keep you feeling full.
- Always have snack with you to prevent gorging.
- Within a day, get to a grocery store or farmer’s market. Buy some lovely fruit for your room
- “Don’t be saucy”. I mean that literally. Order food that is plain like a steak, salmon, large salad with dressing on the side and skip the croutons and cheese.
- Make the decision to splurge. Have a beautiful meal, order desert, and fresh bread. Just don’t do everyday of your trip
BONUS TIP: Be kind to yourself. Sometimes there is just nothing healthy to eat and an extra 500 calories is nothing.
Have a wonderful vacation